Chain Safety Booms
Chain Safety Booms are designed to stop drifting and disabled vessels, or people who had fallen in the water. They keep them clear of hazards such as weirs or sluices while a rescue can be effected in safety.
These are now standard equipment with British Waterways, for whom we are the National contractor and with the Environment Agency who have deployed them throughout eastern England using sympathetic colours such as green and black that are in harmony with the beautiful countryside.
When installed just upstream of weirs and sluices they have proved very effective at guarding the public. They have also been totally reliable and maintenance-free allowing debris to pass through. These booms are now available with our patented latching system that allows the boom to be opened and closed automatically.
Chain Safety Boom Installations
- Generous freeboard to restrain craft
- Access for authorised vessels behind the boom if necessary
- All stressed components tested before despatch
- No moving parts under stress (such as swivels)
- Tried and tested through-chain system (as used for mooring buoys & other booms)
- Optional alarm systems, lights etc.
- New tooling for float mouldings (low profile colours available)
- Polyethylene floats are rotation moulded to Montreal Protocol standards
- Proven long-term UV stability
- Floats foamed with Lloyds Registered marine grade material (except for Environment Booms)
- All components made to ISO 9001 standards
- Steel components hot dip galvanised to ISO 1461
- Certified welding quality
- 30 years experience in flotation
- Past experience in mouldings for MOD, RNLI, ABP, EA, HIE, BW
- Thorough design and execution of boom projects
- User-friendly assembly with simple instructions
- Virtually unsinkable construction
- Easy section replacement if damaged
- Maintenance reduced to occasional inspections
- Chain floats are unstressed
- Up to 80 tons break load
- Tidal compensators that are self aligning (to avoid jamming)
- Vandal and tamper resistant connections
- Optional colours and lettering for floats
Deploying booms with the above features addresses your duty of care for public safety.